English in Chemistry. Technical vocabulary textbook for students and PhD students
autor: Horowska Dorota
Wydawnictwo Politechniki Gdańskiej
English in Chemistry is a professional English coursebook for everybody studying, working or interested in the field of Chemistry. The aim of the book is to help the users extend, revise and consolidate their range of vocabulary in the subject, and improve their language skills through a variety of reading and listening comprehension, vocabulary, and communicative exercises and tasks. This practice is believed to help the users be more linguistically efficient in their work or study environments. The reading and listening texts included in the book were adapted from or based on several sources: specialist publications; msn.encarta.com/encyclopedia; en.wikipedia.org; Encyclopaedia Britannica; and dictionaries: of Chemistry, and Science.
The book is divided into two main parts:
- Chapters 1 through 9 are shorter and concentrate on basic terms used in general chemistry;
- Chapters 10 through 18 develop several topics of general chemistry, chemical technology, and environmental protection.
Each unit consists of four sections:
- FIRST OF ALL – contains short exercises that refer to students’ expertise in the subject and introduce the main topic of each unit;
- READING – offers texts to read and listen to which present essential knowledge about the topic. They are followed with exercises designed to improve students’ reading and listening comprehension skills and help them master the correct pronunciation of challenging chemical terms;
- EXERCISES – is an extension of the main topic. It provides further practice in key topic areas through a variety of vocabulary exercises and pair work tasks;
- REMEMBER? – provides a revision list of specialist and non-specialist words and terms that students will be familiar with at the end of each unit.
The textbook is intended for students at B2 and C1 levels.
The audio files (in MP3 format) are free and available for download from the websites of the Foreign Language Centre (CJO) and https://cjo.pg.edu.pl/horowska.
Unit 1. SCIENCE
Unit 2. CHEMISTRY
Unit 3. ELEMENTS
Unit 4. ATOM
Unit 5. PHYSICAL AND CHEMICAL PROPERTIES OF MATTER
Unit 6. CHEMICAL REACTIONS
Unit 7. CHEMICAL NOMENCLATURE IN INORGANIC CHEMISTRY
Unit 8. LABORATORY GLASSWARE
Unit 9. ENVIRONMENT
Unit 10. CARBOHYDRATES
Unit 11. ESTERS
Unit 12. LIPIDS
Unit 13. ANTIBIOTICS
Unit 14. ATMOSPHERE
Unit 15. HYDROSPHERE
Unit 16. WATER TREATMENT AND AIR CONTROL
Unit 17. GREEN CHEMISTRY
Unit 18. NANOTECHNOLOGY
TASKS FOR STUDENT A
TASKS FOR STUDENT B
TASKS FOR STUDENT C
GLOSSARY OF CHEMICAL TERMS AND COMPOUNDS